Saturday, February 19, 2011

Old Town, San Diego

We got to spend two evenings in Old Town which is often referred to as the birthplace of California. This Mexican village seemed like a popular spot to visit that was full of markets...
Old shops like this Tinsmith's... And this old General Store...
And spanish steps...
And the city hall & courthouse beside Wells Fargo...
Which was just up the street from the Boot & Shoe...
Which was located next to the Pottery Shop.
Along the edge of the park/common area were numerous wonderful smelling restaurants...
And more shops and stairs with lot of colourful tiles.
We spent some time before and after supper browsing these stores & markets like these...
And stopping to admire the flowers particularily the Birds of Paradise...
And window boxes that reminded me of Europe (possibly because I'm getting impatient for a trip across the ocean)...
I was quite enjoying these shops when our buzzer went for our table at the restaurant next door...
So we headed back out of the shops under more boxes & banners.
The mexican food was sooooo good and this taco salad was no exception.
After supper, we browsed some more as you can see...
But a few things made us pause, like the blossoms on this tree...
And more flowers, neat looking restaurants, et all...
As well as this old hotel...
That had these shuttered windows...
Numerous old, well furnished rooms...
And a restaurant in the back courtyard.
We passed back thru some of the open markets, while we headed back to see if we could hail a cab...
Which was a slow walk since we kept noticing things like these ladies @ one restaurant we passed...(they seemed so delighted that we were all staring & watching them work) ;) ...
I loved this store & name...
But I did not enjoy the fog rolling off this patio area & store...it was a cigar shop and it was literally a blue fog that you couldn't see thru...
So I kept my distance & still got a headache just walking by...but right at the next street, we spotted a cab & called it a day.
Day 1

1 comment:

kara said...

I'll wait for your next installments!